Sunday, February 7, 2010

Winter birds

Being blessed with a beautiful sunny week-end, I went to my favorite hang-outs to see what wildlife might be about. No foxes to report this time but I did see many lovely birds. Among other species I saw Chickadees, a Hairy Woodpecker and a Pileated Woodpecker.

Oh, and I don't know what got into the squirrels but some of them were dashing about, tossing sticks in the air and doing back-flips!

Here are some pictures of the birds and a squirrel (who was one of the more sedate ones).




5 comments:

  1. Lucky you as there have been few sunny days here recently!
    Wonderful photos, I especially like the first and last ones. The chickadee looks very similar to our coal tit.
    http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/c/coaltit/index.aspx
    I love watching squirrels when they are chasing about and playing! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the link to the Coal Tit. It is very similar as you say. It's funny, as I was watching the Chickadees I was thinking of Tits (probably because of that card I had bought).
    These little birds are such a delight with their cheerful, spunky and friendly ways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My goodness, it's hard to keep my humour in check sometimes (see above comment), but I do try to be mature at least some of the time. Anyway, thanks for sharing your weekend sightings. I think chickadess are the cutest and greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah Chickadees - what cuties. I am always amazed that they can survive such cold winter nights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, Anvilcloud, if you had not restrained yourself I was ready with a few "tsk, tsk, tsk's" :-)
    And Cuppa, I too am amazed that these tiny wisps of life can survive.

    ReplyDelete